News Update: LEGO Nintendo Entertainment System Officially Announced and a look at the 3 new LEGO Monkie Kid Wave 2 sets. The console looks amazing and features a play scene when you crank a handle. And love how they’ve integrated it with the LEGO Mario system as well!
The Nintendo System has been announced early due to leaks online but they’ve recreated the classic Nintendo Entertainment System in LEGO including a version of Mario on the screen that plays as you crank a handle.
It’s also designed to work with the new LEGO Super Mario line allowing you to plug the Mario character into the top and have him react to what’s on the screen.
The level of detail in what they’ve built is astonishing and I’m most impressed by the cartridge and how it goes in – that’s removable as is the controller on a cable. Lift the flap on the console insert the cartridge and you’re away!
What is really clever – and I can’t wait to see this in action – is how they’ve made it actually scroll on the TV. Turn a handle an Mario will play through a small level. Mario himself is sitting on a disk, attached by an arm to the side that makes him move up and down over the raised obstacle as he hits them A neat effect and I look forward to seeing how smooth it is as this kind of mechanism is notorious for getting stuck at times.
It will retail in the US for $229.99 and $349.99 in Australia. I won’t lie, that price is too high for something like this in my opinion despite how good it looks. Note: The US price has been corrected to $229.99 since I filmed this.
This will definitely sell well to an older audience who remember the early days of consoles – Puts hand up.
I do wonder if this will have any appeal to younger audiences.
But I know the AFOL groups I’m on at drooling at the thought of this set!
Find out more on LEGO.com [affiliate link]
Official LEGO News Releases
LEGO Nintendo Entertainment System 71374
Ages 18+. 2646 pieces
US $229.99 | CA $299.99 | DE €229.99 | UK £209.99 | FR €229.99 | DK 1799DKK
Recreate the Nintendo Entertainment System in LEGO style!
Do you love video games? Did you play Super Mario Bros. back in the day? Or do you just enjoy a hands-on, creative activity in your spare time? If so, this nostalgic LEGO Nintendo Entertainment System (71374) model kit is perfect for you.
Authentic and interactive: The brick-built NES is packed with realistic details, including an opening slot for the Game Pak with a locking function and a controller with a connecting cable and plug. The console comes with a buildable retro TV, featuring a flat 8-bit Mario figure on the scrolling screen, plus an action brick to scan with LEGO Mario (figure not included; find in the LEGO Super Mario Starter Course set – 71360) so he reacts to the on-screen enemies, obstacles and power-ups just like in the Super Mario Bros. game.
Creative fun: This unique set is part of an inspiring collection of LEGO building sets for adults that make fabulous gifts for yourself and hobbyist friends who enjoy DIY challenges and proudly displaying their creations.
- Trigger nostalgic memories as you build this wonderfully detailed LEGO brick Nintendo Entertainment System (71374) and interactive, 1980s-style television displaying the classic Super Mario Bros. game.
- The TV has a handle-operated scrolling screen and if you scan the action brick by placing LEGO Mario (figure not included) in the slot on top, he will react to the on-screen enemies, obstacles and power-ups.
- Authentic details of the NES console are recreated in LEGO style, including a controller and an opening slot for the buildable Game Pak with a realistic locking function to delight Super Mario Bros. fans.
- Whether you were an NES gamer back in the day, a fan of retro stuff, or are just looking for an immersive, fun, creative DIY project to leave you feeling revitalized, this 2,646-piece model building kit is ideal for you.
- The buildable TV measures over 8” (22.5cm) high, 9” (23.5cm) wide and 6” (16cm) deep, and alongside the NES model makes a cool display item for your home or office. It also makes the best LEGO gift for gamer friends.
- No batteries required – combine this playset with the LEGO Mario figure in the LEGO Super Mario Adventures with Mario Starter Course (71360) to activate the TV’s interactive features.
- Easy-to-follow instructions help you to build with confidence, even if you are a LEGO newcomer. Also included is an illustrated booklet about the creation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and classic NES games.
- This highly collectible building set for adults is part of a range of inspirational LEGO model kits designed for you, the discerning hobbyist, as you look for your next immersive DIY project.
- LEGO building bricks meet the highest industry standards, which ensures they are consistent, compatible and connect and pull apart easily every time – it’s been that way since 1958.
- LEGO bricks and pieces are dropped, crushed, twisted, heated and rigorously analyzed to ensure that this unique LEGO building set satisfies the highest safety and quality standards.
Available directly from LEGO Stores & LEGO.com from 1st August, 2020.
The LEGO Group introduces LEGO edition of classic Nintendo Entertainment System
The LEGO Group and Nintendo build on LEGO Super Mario partnership with this new LEGO Nintendo Entertainment System and 1980s-style TV that let adult fans recreate Super Mario Bros. gameplay and rekindle nostalgic NES memories.
BILLUND, July 15, 2020: The LEGO Group today announced a LEGO Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) Building Kit for adults, letting grown-up fans create their own NES console with LEGO bricks. The new kit, the latest product of the LEGO Group and Nintendo partnership, offers a brick-built NES model packed with realistic details, including the accompanying 1980’s style LEGO television set, so nostalgic gamers and LEGO fans can recreate their favorite Super Mario Bros. childhood experiences.
Today’s announcement will let adult fans take a trip down memory-lane by building a mechanically functional version of an all-time favourite console with LEGO bricks. The new NES Building Kit will include a controller with a connecting cable and plug and even an opening slot for the Game Pak with a locking feature. The console also comes with a buildable retro TV, featuring a flat 8-bit Mario figure on the scrolling screen. Fans can scan an included action brick with LEGO Mario from the LEGO Super Mario Starter Course, so he reacts to on-screen enemies, obstacles and power-ups just as he would have in the iconic Super Mario Bros. game.
“Super Mario has been a cherished figure in the gaming world for over thirty years now,” said Maarten Simons, Creative Lead on LEGO Nintendo Entertainment System, the LEGO Group. “Many adults still fondly remember that first time they saw Mario leap across the small screen, even if the graphics were a lot simpler than they are today. With the LEGO Nintendo Entertainment System, we’re letting them truly indulge in that nostalgia, recreating one of the most-loved consoles of all time so they can see the Super Mario from their childhoods once again – and even to share the experience of gaming in the 1980s with their own children.”
The LEGO Group and Nintendo announced their partnership earlier this year, bringing a fun-packed LEGO Super Mario universe to life through a Super Mario Starter Course set that exclusively features a LEGO Mario figure who displays a wide variety of instant reactions to movement, color and various action bricks. This entry point set was followed up on in May with a series of Power-Up Packs and in June with the announcement of a range of Expansion Sets and collectible Character Packs. All have been designed to build out the world of LEGO Super Mario, letting players unleash their creativity by building exactly the levels and challenges they want to see LEGO Mario and friends compete in.
This highly collectible NES building set is part of a range of inspirational LEGO models designed for discerning hobbyists, as they look for their next immersive challenge. The LEGO NES will be available exclusively from LEGO Retail Stores and LEGO.com from August 1st 2020. From 2021 it will be available also at other leading retailers around the world.
The full LEGO Super Mario product line also launches August 1st and will be available directly from LEGO Stores and www.LEGO.com as well as at leading retailers around the world.
The update was shared in a video posted by the LEGO Group and Nintendo earlier today and on the LEGO Super Mario website at www.LEGO.com/SuperMario.
Leave a comment about this post